Thursday, December 8, 2011

Looks Can Be Deceiving! :-)


The students worked really hard today!  This morning, we met our newest Quirkle, Gilbert Gas.


We explored carbon dioxide is both gas and solid forms.  The students wrote their hypothesis and recorded their observations as we added salt to a bottle of soda pop with a balloon covering the top of the bottle.  Ask your child to show you their science log sheet to find out their conclusion.


 Next, we explored carbon dioxide in solid form, dry ice.  There are few things that are quite as exciting as dry ice....
except maybe, dry ice and dish soap...



Bubbles and strange, cold gas.... does it get any better than this?

Next, we worked on our math problem solving skills in the TOPS Math and Math Rules programs.  

This afternoon, we finished our snowman cards by writing the final draft of our winter poems.  The students made a second copy of their poem for you.  I will send them home right before winter break.

Next we opened some of the cards we have received from other schools including ones in Pennsylvania, Michigan, West Virginia, Wisconsin, North Carolina, Kansas, Arizona, Florida and Ontario, Canada.  We used a USA atlas and located the states on the map of North America.  Many more will arrive in the days ahead.


We had a busy day!  I think this looks a bit more like my hard working, E day students!

7 comments:

  1. Jason had such a great time with this. He described it in minute detail and really came away with an understanding of the entire process. We played with dry ice during Halloween and this just made the science of it even more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mrs.Koch
    I liked that experiment, the bubbles were very cool. It also tought me about gas. It was my favorite this year so far! What is your favorite science project this year?

    Maddison

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa,
    Thank you for your post. I am glad Jason is in our class and I'm glad he is enjoying being here! Dry ice is certainly a motivator. The boys and girls were completely focused during our lesson. Hopefully he will continue to enjoy our science lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Maddison,
    I like the Gilbert Gas experiments too. I think my favorite Quirkle is Ronnie Rock. I have a really good demonstration/experiment for him. I'll give you a hint about it: You will be eating igneous rocks as a part of the demonstration.
    Have a good weekend Maddison!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Mrs.Koch,
    I am excited for the Quirkal Ronnie Rock too. But what are igneous rocks? I sure am nervous to eat a rock! I had a great time playing Blokus, and can't wait to have my own to play at home! I hope you had a good weekend! I'm so excited to come back next year, and learn Spanish! Do you know Spanish?

    Maddison

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Maddison,
    There are three kinds of rocks- igneous, sedimentary and metamorphic. Each kind forms in a different way. I'd love to answer your question about igneous rocks, but if I am any good at my job, I need to encourage you to do the research and find out yourself. Try this site and see if YOU can tell me what igneous rocks are. http://www.childrensmuseum.org/geomysteries/floatingrock/b3.html I'll add a star to your star card if you find out and post it here on our blog.

    As far as "eating the rocks" goes, you will just have to wait and see, but I will guarantee you it will be fun and you will like it! I will be watching for your research post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Mrs.Koch,
    Hi! Sorry it has taken so long to write back, my research took a long time, but wanted done on the blog. Not just on my paper! So I'm writing about igneous rocks.
    Igneous rocks start out as hot lava erupting from a volcano. Filled with gases, the rock cooled very quickly, so the gases didn't have time to escape. Instead they were trapped in bubbles that now make it float! This rock is actually called pumice, which is a igneous rock.
    The magma can form in many different ways which makes many different kinds of igneous rocks here are some of them:
    Obsidian: it flows out of the volcano like a river and is very heavy. The lava actually cooled so quickly that the crystals did not have time to form. Which makes Obsidian glass! In the past the people used to use Obsidian to make tools or weapons.
    Basalt: Is the most common form igneous rock, it can be found in many different places acros the world.
    Granite: It's lava cooled while still DEEP underground. So many crystals formed as the magma cooled so Granite is speckled with mineral crystals.
    The best thing of all is that you don't have to even live near a volcano to find them! Granite is exposed from underground by the weather. And ancient volcanos may have left Obsidian and Pumice behind too! So all my research was worth it because now I can search for igneous rocks when I'm outside! I already have a big collection of rocks!
    I will see you in the morning, and I CAN'T WAIT!
    I also couldn't wait until tomorrow to tell you, but Christmas was the best! One of my favorite gifts was Blokus! Its so fun, I had my brothers, cousins, parents, and friends play with me! Again see you tomorrow, and so excited!

    Maddison

    ReplyDelete